JOHN K. ZACHARIAH
Date of Birth : 27-06-1960
School Captain – The Cathedral School, Bangalore (1976)
Head Boy – The Frank Anthony Public School (1978)
WIFE: Lillian Zachariah, Choir Director & Pipe Organist (All Saint’s Church, Bangalore), Co-Director, Nathaniel School of Music, Bangalore.SONS:
1) Jason Zachariah, Computer Engineer, Co-Director, Nathaniel School of Music, Bangalore & Leader of ALLEGRO FUDGE (Music group).
2) Jonathan Zachariah, student of Media & Design at NAFA (Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts,) Singapore.
- M. A. in English, Bangalore University
- P.G.C.T.E. (Central Institute of English & Foreign Languages, Hyderabad)- P.G.D.T.E. (Central Institute of English & Foreign Languages, Hyderabad) - M.A. in Education Management, University of Luton, United Kingdom (now University of Bedfordshire)
1984 – 1995 Taught English at St. Joseph’s College of Arts & Science, Bangalore, India
1995 – 2010 Principal, Cathedral Composite Pre-University College & High School, Bangalore, India
2010 – till date Principal, Bishop Cotton Boys’ School, Bangalore, India
- DEROZIO award for Education & Human Enrichment. (January 2014) Instituted by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi.
- BEST PRINCIPAL award for Educational Leadership (2013, New Delhi). Instituted by the Newspapers Association of India.
- MOTHER TERESA award for education (2013, Kolkata). Instituted by the Mother Teresa International Committee.
- was the Chairman of the Education Committee of the Karnataka Central Diocese, Church of South India (2001-2002; 2003-2005)
- was the Convenor of the Education Committee of the Church of South India – Karnataka Central Diocese which manages 23 schools & colleges in Karnataka State
- founded the Cathedral Institute of Further Education (CIFE) under the aegis of the Church of South India, Karnataka Central Diocese in 2005
- was the Managing Trustee of the Sarvodaya International Trust, an organization that promotes Gandhian ideals & values
- inspector of ICSE/ISC schools – schools seeking affiliation to the CISCE, New Delhi
- was Chairman of the Regional Committee for National Awards for teachers (2014).
INTERNATIONAL SEMINARS /CONFERENCES:
- participated in the South Asia Youth Conference: ‘”Called for Peace’, in Colombo, Sri Lanka (2002)
- participated in an international conference: ‘Mastering English for Science & Technology’ at Kuala Lampur, Malaysia (2003)
- was one of the organizers of the South Asia Youth Conference in Bangalore, India (2005)
- participated in Principals’ Conferences (under the aegis the CSI KCD) held in Sri Lanka (2004), Australia & New Zealand (2005), United Kingdom (2006) South Africa (2008)
(a) Public speaking
- compered several international programmes, organized by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations including Festival of China and Festival of Switzerland.
- conducted workshops on public speaking, spoken English, public relations and education management.
- does voice-overs for documentary films & T.V. commercials.
- Produced & directed several major English plays including T.S. Eliot’s ‘Murder in the Cathedral’ and William Shakespeare’s ‘As you like it’. Acted in major English plays including William Shakespeare’s ‘A midsummer Night’s Dream’ and Athol Fugard’s ‘Master Harold and the boys’. Co-authored & directed ‘Soldier of the Cross’ and ‘Ignatius of Loyola’ as part of the 450th Anniversary celebrations of Ignatius of Loyola.
(i) Organised the following festivals & Inter-school competitions & Programmes:
‘The Whistance Memorial All-India Inter-School Cultural Festival’ for ICSE schools. Held in 1997, 1998, 1999 & 2000.
‘Amity Fest’ – An inter-collegiate cultural festival for pre-university, degree and professional colleges. Held in 2000, 2001 & 2003.
(ii) Organised major public performances for audiences ranging from 5,000– 10,000 people at the Cathedral High School & Bishop Cotton Boys’ School featuring the following international celebrities and groups:- Bjorn Again ABBA, a world-renowned tribute band - Rhythm of the Dance – featuring the National Dance Company of Ireland - Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia - PETRA (2003), grammy-award winner and no.1 gospel rock music band in the world - Padmashree S.P. Balasubramanyam (2003) - KE JUN a Chinese Opera personality - Shillong International Chamber Orchestra - Grammy-award nominee Enoch Fernando - Padmashri Hariharan (2005) - Amsterdam Chamber Orchestra (2004) - Le Solistes, Chamber Orchestra from France (2006) - X Mas Rhapsody – Musical Nite at Cottons (2010) - Nostalgia 2011 – A mega performance by 75 Celebrity, Musicians, Singers & Dancers from UK & Ireland (2011) - Christmas at Cotton’s with Usha Uthup (2011) - ‘Synchronize’ an inter-school science & IT Fest - Resurgence – an inter-school commerce Fest - All India Model United Nations – Bishop Cotton’s – 2012 (d) Sports Organised the following sports events: - Cottonian Shield Cricket Tournament – Day-night (2010, 2011, & 2012) - ‘Winter Sixes’ – a day-night inter-collegiate Cricket Tournament held each year during December - ‘Sportstop’ – a day-night inter-collegiate & inter-school sports festival (2004) - Inter-ICSE Schools Athletic Meet in 1997 and 2002 - Inter-ICSE Schools Cricket Sixes Tournament - Sportstakes – an inter-collegiate sports festival – initiated at St. Joseph’s College in 1991 - State Level Inter-collegiate Basketball Tournaments - Sports Academies at Cathedral School & Bishop Cotton School (regularly conducted during vacation) (d) Writings
- ‘Working with English’ – a workbook in English for Pre-University students published by St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore
- Dissertation in relation to the Master’s Degree Course in Education Management, University of Luton, U.K.- As media head and chief editor wrote articles in relation to the South Asia Youth Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Published by CMS, London in the book ‘Called for Peace’ - Foreword to the book ‘Geetanjali to Bharat Ki Suputri’ (a book of poems about Mother Teresa). Published by Asian Trading Corporation - Co-authored the play ‘Soldier of the Cross’ (for St. Joseph’s College) - Co-authored the play’ Ignatius of Loyola (for St. Joseph’s College). COUNTRIES VISITED: - U.S.A., Canada, U.K., Japan, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia & Sri Lanka.